Saying goodbye to Ibuildings to found Egeniq

August 12th, 2010 by Ivo

Those who pay attention to my occasional seemingly random tweets may have noticed this tweet, back in March. It's the first line of the Bob Dylan song "Times they are a'changin", and it marked the start of a long thought process. I had a '10 year itch': I was at Ibuildings since january 2000, back then a 5 person web development shop in the south of the Netherlands, and over the years I had helped Ibuildings grow into a 110+ people PHP service company with 5 offices in 3 countries. Very proud of what Ibuildings had become and my own role in the company, I had a growing feeling of 'what next?'.

In my enterprise PHP book I mentioned 5 major goals I wanted to accomplish in life: one of them is to found and build a company of my own. And although Ibuildings has always felt a bit mine, that's not the same. So I slowly started thinking about starting from scratch and building a new awesome company. Over the course of the next few months I searched for reasons to leave and reasons to stay, but eventually I knew that in my heart I had already made the decision in March, and all I was doing was finding reasons to validate that choice. There's a saying that in the end, you'll only regret the things you DIDN'T do, so finally I made the decision to go for it.

What am I going to do? I'm going to found Egeniq, a company centered around a number of mobile products, concepts and related services. Over the course of the next few weeks it will become more clear what exactly we will be doing, but in short it's doing cool stuff with iphones, ipads and android devices (and whatever device makes sense). I've found partners in crime: Bas is going to look after the commercial side of the business, and I'm going to look after the technical side together with a person that I've known and trusted for years (but it will take a couple more weeks before this person's able to announce it).

So far I've been a member of the PHP community; will this change when I am working with mobile devices? No, on the contrary! I'm both proud and happy to be part of this community, and you can bet that the products we will be developing will have loads of PHP in them (for backends, apis, webservices and the occasional web frontend). I'm still speaking at Zendcon in November, have a new book coming out soon and I hope that Egeniq will be able to contribute to a couple of open source projects.

I'm very thrilled to finally have this out in the open. I have very supportive friends and family, but I'm still both excited and scared at the same time; I'm giving up a great career for a lot of unknowns, and this may very well be one of the most important decisions I've made in my life so far. So any words of wisdom, encouragement or just plain 'you are stupid for doing this' feedback is more than welcome!

And to start plugging my new company right away: send all your ideas, project requests and CVs to ivo at egeniq dot com. ;-)

I will be with Ibuildings until the end of September, mainly to hand over my responsibilities and make sure that we part ways smoothly. My job at Ibuildings has been amazing and I'd like to thank everybody I worked with, every client I worked for and everybody at Ibuildings for a great time. This is not the end, it's a new beginning. A beginning I'm very much looking forward to!

30 Responses to “Saying goodbye to Ibuildings to found Egeniq”

1. August 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm, Stefan said:

Finally the word is out! Congratulations Ivo, Bas and soon-to-be-announced third founder. Good to see you taking this step. I know that with this team at the basis of a new company, the company will soon be *AWESUM* :)

2. August 12, 2010 at 2:40 pm, Sjoerd Maessen said:

Good luck with the new adventure! I’m sure we will hear more about Egeniq in the future!

3. August 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm, Roland Bouman said:

Hi Ivo!

van harte gefeliciteerd met dit initiatief! ik weet zeker dat je bij iBuildings gemist zult worden.

Ik wens je alle succes toe met deze onderneming – en het kan toch haast niet anders lopen of dit wordt een succes!

vriendelijke groet van

Roland Bouman

4. August 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm, Vincenzo said:

Wow, that sounds really exciting ;) All the best with that, and once again, it’s been great working with you!

5. August 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm, Cyberspice said:

Congratulations. Very exciting. I will be watching developments with interest as this is more my area of expertise. Melanie…

6. August 12, 2010 at 2:50 pm, NickBelhomme said:

Hi Ivo,

good luck in this awesome endeavor, which I know will rock ;)

And to correct your blog post: “I’m giving up a great career for a lot of unknowns”
    => Your career has finally started by taking this step in life.

your friend,
    Nick

7. August 12, 2010 at 3:04 pm, RIchard Harrison said:

Congrats Ivo! Good luck with the new business and I hope it goes well.

8. August 12, 2010 at 3:51 pm, Christian Wenz said:

Congratulations, and all the best for your new ventures!

9. August 12, 2010 at 3:53 pm, Matthew Weier O'Phinney said:

Definitely a big move for you Ivo — but one I’ve anticipated for some time (knowing your passion for writing code and mobile devices). Good luck in your new enterprise!

10. August 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm, Rob... said:

Congratulations Ivo and good luck with Egeniq!

Rob…

11. August 12, 2010 at 7:29 pm, Wouter said:

Mooie stap die je maakt ivo!!

Mocht je ooit hulp nodig hebben op welke manier ook voor je mooie aanstaande mobiele projecten weet je me te vinden.

Maak er wat moois van!

12. August 12, 2010 at 7:52 pm, Andriesss said:

Ivo, van harte gefeliciteerd met deze nieuwe uitdaging!
    Ik ben er van overtuigd dat je er iets moois van zal maken.

Veel succes!

13. August 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm, Chris Jones said:

Ivo, congratulations and thanks for all you’ve done for the PHP community during your time at iBuildings. You new venture will be exciting.

14. August 13, 2010 at 12:25 am, Andi Gutmans said:

Good luck! You’re definitely entering a very lucrative space.

15. August 13, 2010 at 11:54 am, Maurice Maas said:

Gefeliciteerd Ivo! Het is even wennen want Ivo en Ibuildings waren een beetje aan elkaar verbonden. Maar ook wel een logische stap die velen zagen aan komen. Ik wens je heel veel succes. Ik ben benieuwd of je wens om een kantoor in New York te openen ook nog eens zal uitkomen ;)

16. August 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm, mam said:

Ik kan dit niet lezen met droge ogen, maar ik ben ongelofelijk trots op je !!! Maak je dromen waar !!! Heel veel succes , ik heb er alle vertrouwen in !!!

17. August 13, 2010 at 4:52 pm, Anon said:

Hi Ivo! You tech-interviewed me for iBuildings; I was impressed by you (& so followed your blog) but not so much by the rest of iBuildings, so I said no.

So, good journey with Egeniq; I’m very confident for you :)

18. August 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm, Shahar Evron said:

Hey,

Big news, I’m happy for you! Good luck in your new road and I guess I’ll see you at ZendCon :)

Shahar.

19. August 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm, Björn Schotte said:

Ivo – I wish you all the best for your new venture and those exciting times that will come.

Björn.

20. August 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm, Piet en Edith said:

Hoi Ivo,

Mary Burmeister (Jin Shin Jyutsu) zei:

“When the world says impossible, the one with imagination says it is done”

geweldig man. We wensen je (jullie 3-en) heel heel veel succes.

21. August 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm, Leon de Rijke said:

“Whoa, nice!!!” om het maar op z’n Ivo’s te zeggen!

Een bijzondere stap, Ivo. Heel veel succes met Egeniq, ben benieuwd waar we jullie naam gaan zien opduiken!

Have fun!

22. August 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm, Jasper van der Hulst said:

Hey Ivo,

Wat een geweldige stap! En herkenbare gevoelens eerlijk gezegd! Voor mij wel een verrassing op dit moment moet ik zeggen, we hebben niet meer zo frequent contact helaas lately dus ik had geen idee. Met Epointment heb je al eens eerder laten zien ambities voor een eigen initiatief te hebben, maar nu je echt de stap neemt om er helemaal voor te gaan, los van Ibuildings, ben ik er van overtuigd dat het je gaat lukken.

Heel veel succes en ik hoop veel over jou en Egeniq te horen in de nabije toekomst!

Groet,
    Jasper van der Hulst

23. August 24, 2010 at 10:34 am, jammie said:

He ivo!!
    Proficiat, de eerste Stappen zijn gezet,en zeg nu: we zullen doorgaan!!!!
    Wens jullie veel succes en jullie maken het,dat is zeker!
    Ciao
    Jammie

24. September 01, 2010 at 8:34 pm, Senthilgurue said:

Hi Ivo,

Congratulations and all the best for your new ventures!

Senthilguru.E

25. September 08, 2010 at 10:04 am, Han said:

Ivo, Peter en Bas,

Nogmaals van harte gefeliciteerd en heel veel succes !!

Han

26. September 08, 2010 at 3:57 pm, mam said:

Nu mag het nieuws eindelijk bekend worden gemaakt, las ik !! Peter, ook in jou heb ik het volste vertrouwen en ik ben heel blij dat jij en Ivo nu ook zakenpartners worden !!! Ik wens jullie heel veel succes en heel veel werk :) Bas, ook jou wil ik van harte feliciteren met je deelname aan Egeniq als lid van het ” driemanschap” en we zullen elkaar ongetwijfeld wel leren kennen !! Ik wens jullie een hele goeie start op 1 oktober !!!

27. September 16, 2010 at 9:28 am, php scripts said:

Congratulations, and all the best for your new ventures!

28. September 22, 2010 at 11:02 am, Angelo said:

Hee Ivo (en Peter & Bas),

Gefeliciteerd met deze stap, leuk om te horen dat steeds meer mensen een eigen onderneming starten. Super! Ik denk dat ibuildings jou (jullie) wel zal gaan missen.

Mocht je nog een partner zoeken in videoproducties dan geef maar een gil! :-)

Succes!

cheers!
    Angelo

29. November 30, 2010 at 8:58 am, Adnan said:

Hii

Found your tweet regarding php/Mobile Job. I m from Pakistan. May I Apply? CV is up here at http://adnansiddiqi.com/CV

30. May 07, 2011 at 7:44 am, Pinoy Tv said:

A passionate PHP guy joining a passionate team. It is bound to give fireworks. Can’t wait to see all that magic released into the app stores! I applaud people who follow and pursue their dreams, if your gut says GO full speed ahead, just GO! Congrats Felix!